Friday, January 15, 2016

Happy Birthday, Camryn- Er, I Mean, Dove Cameron! The Beginning of a New Novel:


“I still can’t believe you’re leaving tomorrow,” he said.
I laughed at him, “Don’t be such a drama-baby. I’m only going to be gone for the summer.”
“The summer can last a really long time,” he told me. “You watch Phineas and Ferb with me.”
I laughed again. Phineas and Ferb were pretty crazy. I moved in to hug him, feeling his warm body against mine. As I pulled back from him, I said, “Goodbye, Garret.”
“Camryn, wait,” he grabbed my wrist to pull me back into him so I would get to feel that warmth again. “I have to tell you something before you go.”
“What?” I laughed. “Can you make it fast? I have to be up at four in the morning to leave.”
“Uh, I don’t know how quick I can be,” he laughed as well. “It’s kind of important.”
“So is my leaving in the morning,” I tried pulling away again to get to my house next door.
“I- I like you,” he turned me to face him.
“And I like you, Gare,” I tweaked his nose.
“No- No, I mean-” he sighed, and looked up at the star filled sky as if trying to come up with the right words to say me. “We’ve known each other for such a long time.”
“Garrett, what is it?” I changed my tone, noticing how serious he was being.
“We were practically born together,” he said.
“We were born in two different hospitals across town,” I looked up at him.
“Yeah, but we were born on the same day, and that’s gotta account for something,” he shrugged.
I giggled.
“And then we moved into our houses on the same day,” he gestured to either side of us. “Right next to each other. Who would’ve known?”
“I think our parents knew.” I took his hands and pressed them back down to his sides.
He intertwined his fingers with mine, and sighed, “And then we grew up together.”
The porchlight at my home flicked on, my parents letting me know I needed to get in for bed.
I started to step back, breaking the bridge our hands had created between us, “And will our life story form a point anytime soon?”
“I like you,” he told me again.
“Garrett, I already you that I like you too.”
“No, he took a deep breath, his chest puffing out. “I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m in love with you.”
“Well,” I let out a long breath. I moved close again and shoved my fingers into his so thick sandy hair. “It’s about time.”
“Oh,” his sigh traveled throughout his whole body, and I could feel it through the length of mine. It was the sweetest sigh I’d ever felt come from him.
He leaned in.
“Camryn!” my dad called just before Garrett’s lips met mine.
“No,” I groaned, turning my head to look at my father’s silhouette.
Garrett’s mouth landed on my cheek, but I relished in that feeling still.
“You’ve gotta be up in seven hours,” Dad called. “Let’s get to bed.”
“You heard him,” I slowly backed away from my best friend – if not more than that now.
“Wait, just another minute,” he said.
“Garrett, I don’t think I have another minute,” I pointed back toward my dad.
“Then just take this,” he pressed something into my hand. “I found it at the flea market. It’s kinda a sort of promise ring.”
“Garrett,” I held the ring close to my heart.
“You should go,” he pointed as my dad called for me again.
“I’ll see you in three months,” I started to back away one last time.
“Don’t forget me,” he said.
And I asked him, “How could I forget you when I love you just so much?”
He mouthed the words, “I love you.”
And then I turned away from him before he could see the tears starting to form in my eyes.
I ran back to my house for my last sleep before I would officially become NASA’s next summer intern.

No comments:

Post a Comment